Definition of bodice-ripper in English:
nouninformal or , humorous
A sexually explicit romantic novel or film with a historical setting.
- Girl With A Pearl Earring is not a film that makes haste, nor is it a bodice-ripper (its most explicit scene occurs as Griet gets her ear pierced).
- Their story is the very stuff of a Bollywood bodice-ripper.
- It's fine to compare the Brontës with bodice-rippers.
- Example sentences
- What is it about Chris Matthews’ show that evokes images of bodice-ripping, drooling ravishment?
- His sixth spouse was novelist Kathleen Winsor, who wrote the bodice-ripping bestseller Forever Amber; their union lasted about two years.
- Although the quality varied from week to week you could always be guaranteed a bodice-ripping art review when you opened your Salient on a Monday morning.
Definition of bodice-ripper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.