Definition of bodice-ripper in English:
nouninformal or humorous
A sexually explicit romantic novel or film with a historical setting.
- Girl With A Pearl Earring is not a film that makes haste, nor is it a bodice-ripper (its most explicit scene occurs as Griet gets her ear pierced).
- Their story is the very stuff of a Bollywood bodice-ripper.
- It's fine to compare the Brontës with bodice-rippers.
- Example sentences
- What is it about Chris Matthews’ show that evokes images of bodice-ripping, drooling ravishment?
- His sixth spouse was novelist Kathleen Winsor, who wrote the bodice-ripping bestseller Forever Amber; their union lasted about two years.
- Although the quality varied from week to week you could always be guaranteed a bodice-ripping art review when you opened your Salient on a Monday morning.
Definition of bodice-ripper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan