Entry from US English dictionary
1A close-fitting woman’s garment for the upper body that is closed at the crotch.
- After all, it's 1980 we're talking about here and you know the old saying, ‘If you can remember 1980… you wore a body shirt.’
- I'll be wearing a pair of mauve and yellow striped flared corduroy jeans, white platform sole shoes, a brown body shirt with white-trimmed large collar - admittedly a tad frayed at the edges - and a pale blue safari suit jacket.
- It is an act of worship to the sixties and seventies - to flares and body shirts and all that glitters.
1.1A close-fitting blouse or shirt.
- He paired sexy bikinis and halter-top bathing suits with body shirts and other pieces in his signature Deep Sea Treasures print.
- Fashion also had an impact on hairstyles when men began wearing flares, platform shoes, seersucker trousers, and body shirts and denim came into fashion.
- If a body shirt worked back then it probably will work for its original purpose today.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: bod·y shirt
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.