- Denoting a crystal structure in which there is an atom at each vertex and at the centre of the unit cell.More example sentences
- Martensite is a supersaturated solid solution of carbon in iron which has a body-centred tetragonal structure, a distorted form of bcc iron.
- Heat-treatment of steel involves the change of austenite, a face-centred cubic iron lattice containing carbon atoms in the interstices, into a body-centred cubic ferrite with a low solubility for carbon.
- Under ordinary laboratory conditions iron has a body-centred cubic structure (the alpha phase), but this is stable only at low pressures and is not relevant to the core.
More definitions of body-centredDefinition of body-centred in:
- The US English dictionary