- A louse which infests the human body and is especially prevalent where hygiene is poor. It is able to transmit several diseases through its bite, including typhus.
More example sentences
- Pediculus humanus humanus, family Pediculidae, order Anoplura. See also head louse
- There he again found efficient and cost-effective methods for controlling the human body louse, the insect that carried typhus fever.
- The human body louse, Pediculus humanus, has two ways of making a living - either dwelling on the scalp, feeding on blood, or snuggling into our clothes and come out once or twice a day to graze on our bodies.
- The first full-scale use of DDT in a military context was in early 1944 against the body louse during the Naples typhus epidemic where it was credited with bringing the epidemic under control.
More definitions of body louseDefinition of body louse in:
- The US English dictionary