Definition of bodysnatcher in English:
A person who illicitly disinterred corpses for dissection, for which there was no legal provision until 1832.
- The Daily Express headline ‘Scandal of the bodysnatchers’ was inappropriate because there were no bodysnatchers.
- The famous bodysnatchers Burke and Hare were never charged with violation of sepulchre because they eventually resorted to murder as a way of finding bodies to sell.
- There are displays dedicated to the notorious Edinburgh bodysnatchers Burke and Hare, and cannibal Sawney Bean.
- Example sentences
- However, after two years marked by ‘scandalous behavior, ‘he was forced to flee at night due to a ‘serious incident, ‘rumored to have involved bodysnatching from a local cemetery.’
- There shouldn't be any displacement or bodysnatching, although he isn't morally opposed to those kinds of things happening.
- But if American freedom of information legislation is now allowing some of the story belatedly to emerge, the whole truth about the extent of British-American bodysnatching is unlikely ever to become public knowledge.
Definition of bodysnatcher in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan