1.1A household device providing a hot-water supply or serving a central heating system.
- As part of last year's work the boiler and central heating system was upgraded with the bedrooms and function suites undergoing redecoration.
- Combination boilers provide instant central heating and hot water, but are best suited to properties with one bathroom.
- The rules apply to all gas appliances, including central heating boilers, water heaters, fires and cookers.
1.2A tank for generating steam under pressure in a steam engine.
- But the principle of generating steam in a boiler under pressure and using it to push pistons back and forth in two or more double-acting cylinders, is just the same.
- The Lord Stewart is listed as having two boilers and a three-cylinder steam engine.
- Stop the heat getting out of their steam engine boilers - and the cold getting in - by wrapping them in asbestos blankets.
1.3 dated A metal tub for washing or sterilizing clothes at a very high temperature.
- I rather thought sacrificing virgins to their gods had gone out with the clothes boiler, but sometimes I wasn't too sure.
- Our vacuum ironing tables, ironing boards, steam boilers and clothes presses can be used for commercial dry cleaning and clothes pressing.
2British informal A chicken suitable for cooking only by boiling.
- Cahaner produced his chicken by cross-breeding a boiler chicken with another breed that has a naturally bare neck.
- The fundamentally unhygienic conditions of intensive boiler chicken production have been described many times.
- He has crossbred a small, bare-skinned bird with a regular boiler chicken as part of a research project to develop succulent, low fat poultry that is environmentally friendly.
Words that rhyme with boilerbroiler, Euler, oiler, spoiler, toiler
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.