- 1.1A household device providing a hot-water supply or serving a central heating system.More example sentences
- As part of last year's work the boiler and central heating system was upgraded with the bedrooms and function suites undergoing redecoration.
- Combination boilers provide instant central heating and hot water, but are best suited to properties with one bathroom.
- The rules apply to all gas appliances, including central heating boilers, water heaters, fires and cookers.
- 1.2A tank for generating steam under pressure in a steam engine.More example sentences
- But the principle of generating steam in a boiler under pressure and using it to push pistons back and forth in two or more double-acting cylinders, is just the same.
- The Lord Stewart is listed as having two boilers and a three-cylinder steam engine.
- Stop the heat getting out of their steam engine boilers - and the cold getting in - by wrapping them in asbestos blankets.
- 1.3 • dated A metal tub for washing or sterilizing clothes at a very high temperature.More example sentences
- I rather thought sacrificing virgins to their gods had gone out with the clothes boiler, but sometimes I wasn't too sure.
- Our vacuum ironing tables, ironing boards, steam boilers and clothes presses can be used for commercial dry cleaning and clothes pressing.
- 2British • informal A chicken suitable for cooking only by boiling.More example sentences
- Cahaner produced his chicken by cross-breeding a boiler chicken with another breed that has a naturally bare neck.
- The fundamentally unhygienic conditions of intensive boiler chicken production have been described many times.
- He has crossbred a small, bare-skinned bird with a regular boiler chicken as part of a research project to develop succulent, low fat poultry that is environmentally friendly.
More definitions of boilerDefinition of boiler in:
- The US English dictionary