- The trunk of a tree.More example sentences
- Many larger trees showed cankered boles and parasite-bloated boughs.
- Having maneuvered through the boles of the blue trees of the grove and into the open plain beyond, Saffron and Hawk decided to head off in the direction of a grassy hillock they spotted about a kilometer away.
- A few dead boles of tree stood scattered across the infertile land as the child faded from view, though not from distance.
Middle English: from Old Norse bolr; perhaps related to balk.
- A fine, smooth, reddish clay containing iron oxide, used especially as a ground for oil painting and gilding.More example sentences
- After polishing to achieve a smooth skin, a reddish or pink bole is applied and this is polished again.
- Petrovich also makes frames out of lead, steel, iron or bole finishes.
- The earliest are a restrained palette of blues, whites, then a touch of sage-green, manganese purple, and finally the sealing-wax red of Armenian bole.
Middle English: from late Latin bolus 'rounded mass' (see bolus).