noun[usually as modifier] Architecture
- A decorative moulding above or around a panel or other architectural feature: [as modifier]: bolection mouldingMore example sentences
- The eight portraits were set into the panelling and were framed within matching, painted bolection mouldings.
- Such chests were made in and near Concord, in eastern Massachusetts, and their distinguishing characteristics include fluted pilasters surmounted by bolection moldings, or ‘swelled friezes.’
- The bolection profile imitates the opposing curves of a Baroque architectural façade, whilst helping to project the painting against a correspondingly opulent interior.
mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of bolectionDefinition of bolection in:
- The US English dictionary