- A small weevil which feeds on the fibres of the cotton boll and is a major pest of the American cotton crop.
More example sentences
- Anthonomus grandis, family Curculionidae
- Individual costumes included the stink bug, praying mantis, dragonfly, grubworm, horsefly, gypsy moth, boll weevil, yellow jacket, monarch butterfly, two mean bugs and a nice bug as well as the ever popular maggot.
- Today, it's not the boll weevil but the pink bollworm that threatens southwestern Pima, nesting inside the bolls, where it is hard to get.
- One of the top two or three insect pests that the United States has ever had to deal with, the boll weevil has been a major economic and environmental catastrophe, especially in the South.
More definitions of boll weevilDefinition of boll weevil in:
- The US English dictionary