- 1A shawm (wind instrument) of alto pitch, used in medieval bands and in Breton folk music.More example sentences
- The biniou is usually heard in duet with a rustic shawm (the bombarde).
- The most popular Breton folk instruments are the biniou (a small bagpipe) and the bombarde, which is similar to an oboe.
- 2A powerful bass reed organ stop.More example sentences
- The Williams Organ has one manual keyboard each for the Bombarde, Swell, Great, and Choir organs and the manuals are referred to (from top to bottom) by those names.
- It is quite possible when used at full strength, to play a solo on the bombarde against the full great and swell coupled together.
late Middle English: from Old French, denoting a shawm (see bombard).
More definitions of bombardeDefinition of bombarde in:
- The US English dictionary