Definition of bondager in English:
1A person who performed services as a condition of feudal tenure.
- The life of a bondager was no rural idyll, but one of long hours and hard work born with patient dignity.
- Nacy Thompson is a bondager, a farm laborer forced to live in virtual slavery, her life dictated by the cruel and barbaric whims of her masters.
- These bondagers were allowed to grow vegetables and keep a cow to provide food for their children, yet life was difficult.
1.1(In southern Scotland and NE England) a female outworker supplied to a proprietor by a tenant.
- This photo shows a group of bondagers at Hilltown Farm, Newton, Midlothian.
- The use of such female bondagers as agricultural labourers was especially prevalent in south east Scotland and extended into north Northumberland.
- Based on interviews with four women who worked in agriculture in Midlothain during the early twentieth century, this volume reveals the hard work of the bondager.
Words that rhyme with bondagerwharfinger • packager
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan