- 1A person who performed services as a condition of feudal tenure.More example sentences
- The life of a bondager was no rural idyll, but one of long hours and hard work born with patient dignity.
- Nacy Thompson is a bondager, a farm laborer forced to live in virtual slavery, her life dictated by the cruel and barbaric whims of her masters.
- These bondagers were allowed to grow vegetables and keep a cow to provide food for their children, yet life was difficult.
- 1.1(In southern Scotland and NE England) a female outworker supplied to a proprietor by a tenant.More example sentences
- This photo shows a group of bondagers at Hilltown Farm, Newton, Midlothian.
- The use of such female bondagers as agricultural labourers was especially prevalent in south east Scotland and extended into north Northumberland.
- Based on interviews with four women who worked in agriculture in Midlothain during the early twentieth century, this volume reveals the hard work of the bondager.