1An old vehicle with poor suspension: a boneshaker of a van
More example sentences
- A cleaned up adaptation of a Steinbeck novel, this centres on Sweetheart, a boneshaker of a bus rattling over the 'washboard roads' of Southern California.
- We fly to Iasi, a remote university town in the north-east of Romania, on a tiny bone-shaker of a plane with propellers.
- It is possible to blow huge amounts of money on car modifications, ruining your automobile and ending up with a fuel drinking stodgy bone shaker.
1.1An early type of bicycle without rubber tyres.
- He takes us from the French pushbike of 1816 through boneshakers and penny-farthings to the English velocipedes and the Humbers of the 1880s.
- The boneshaker was further refined by James Starley in the 1870's.
- Old Chinese boneshaker bicycles can be hired for a pittance, and the area is less hilly than much of Xishuangbanna.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bone|shaker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.