noun (plural bonobos)
- A chimpanzee with a black face and black hair, found in the rainforests of the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire). It is believed to be the closest living relative of humans. Also called pygmy chimpanzee.
More example sentences
- Pan paniscus, family Pongidae
- His favorite species for this work are chimpanzees, bonobos, and capuchin monkeys.
- Experts now bracket humans in the ‘hominidae’ family of great apes, along with orang-utans, chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas.
- The situation is most dire for primates such as bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas.
1950s: a local word.
More definitions of bonoboDefinition of bonobo in:
- The US English dictionary