Definition of bonsai in English:
1The art of growing ornamental, artificially dwarfed varieties of trees and shrubs in pots.
- Ma compared this kind of ‘fill empty space’ sculpture to bonsai.
- Many of the folks in my bonsai group un-pot their trees in early fall and plant them back in the ground on top of a piece of slate or the like (to prevent deep rooting).
- These miniature trees made famous from the Japanese art of bonsai can be found all over Asia, in China, Thailand, Vietnam and other cultures.
1.1 [count noun] (plural same) (also bonsai tree) An ornamental tree or shrub grown using the art of bonsai.
- Cultivating a bonsai tree requires some care and attention, but as a reward it brings tranquility to the mind, a feeling of being refreshed and, inner peace.
- Her kimono was sky blue and had a bonsai tree sewn into the sleeves.
- She explained that a bonsai tree could easily outlive its owner if properly cared for.
1950s: from Japanese, from bon 'tray' + sai 'planting'.
Definition of bonsai in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.