Definition of bonsai in English:
1The art of growing ornamental, artificially dwarfed varieties of trees and shrubs in pots.
- Ma compared this kind of ‘fill empty space’ sculpture to bonsai.
- Many of the folks in my bonsai group un-pot their trees in early fall and plant them back in the ground on top of a piece of slate or the like (to prevent deep rooting).
- These miniature trees made famous from the Japanese art of bonsai can be found all over Asia, in China, Thailand, Vietnam and other cultures.
1.1 [count noun] (plural same) (also bonsai tree) An ornamental tree or shrub grown using the art of bonsai.
- Cultivating a bonsai tree requires some care and attention, but as a reward it brings tranquility to the mind, a feeling of being refreshed and, inner peace.
- Her kimono was sky blue and had a bonsai tree sewn into the sleeves.
- She explained that a bonsai tree could easily outlive its owner if properly cared for.
1950s: from Japanese, from bon 'tray' + sai 'planting'.
Definition of bonsai in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan