- A fish of a large class distinguished by a skeleton of bone, and comprising the majority of modern fishes. Compare with cartilaginous fish.
More example sentences
- Class Osteichthyes: two or three subclasses
- By the late Devonian, 360 million years ago, early cartilaginous fish and bony fish were diversifying.
- Dr Tyler says there is some agreement that the common ancestor was a bony fish (class Osteichthyes).
- These advances culminated in the modern bony fish, or teleosts, which show a tremendous diversity of mouth parts and feeding specializations.
More definitions of bony fishDefinition of bony fish in:
- The US English dictionary