- A small Australasian owl which has a characteristic double hoot reminiscent of the call of the European cuckoo. Also called mopoke or morepork.
More example sentences
- Genus Ninox, family Strigidae: two species, especially the common N. novaeseelandiae
- So it was a group of four that finally made it to where humans had been keeping boobooks in captivity.
- Did he by chance know a boobook owl named Hala?
- Bryan lives near Traralgon South, and took these photos of a baby boobook and its mother near his home.
early 19th century: imitative of its call.