- A book of prayers appointed for particular canonical hours or times of day, used by Roman Catholics for private devotions and popular especially in the Middle Ages, when they were often richly illuminated.More example sentences
- Psalters were the most popular book used for private devotion before the books of hours.
- Like many books of hours, the Murthly book was written for a noblewoman.
- Beyond the planets are four depictions of the seasons that recall a medieval book of hours but seem to rely on the tarot, with images of the Fool, the Chariot and Death.
More definitions of book of hoursDefinition of book of hours in:
- The US English dictionary