- 1Valuable stolen goods, especially those seized in war.More example sentences
- We danced down the craggy coast and ducked into Robin Hood's Bay, the former home to gangs of marauding smugglers who would steal booty from ships wrecked on the treacherous offshore rocks.
- Between 1799 and 1814, when the collection was augmented by artistic booty seized in the wake of Napoleon's military victories, the Louvre was the greatest museum of Western art in history.
- Others were seized as war booty and fell into the hands of collectors who valued them but were often at a loss to understand what they were or who had created them.
- 1.1 • informal Something gained or won: the company has still got warehousefuls of money in the bank, thanks to the booty from earlier capital-raising exercisesMore example sentences
- Founders Ernst Malmsten and Kajsa Leander begin spending their venture capital booty.
- The booty includes free massages, four tickets to see the Pixies, and a glossy 8 x 10 photo of Amy Grant.
- Started by four hard-core believers in nature's booty and its goodness, Green Life aims to reintroduce nature to people around.
late Middle English (originally denoting plunder acquired in common): from Middle Low German būte, buite 'exchange, distribution', of uncertain origin.
noun (plural booties)North American • informal
- A person’s bottom: you’re picky about the music you firm your booty toMore example sentences
- It seems the bottom - or rather, the booty - has dropped out of the hip-hop market.
- It's true that Scott Hall had all the skills to become world champion, but he probably lacked the self-control to actually carry the belt and put booties in the seats for any length of time.
- I have to say that I strongly disagreed with fixing the one young woman who had a big booty.
shake one's booty
- Dance energetically: I was shaking my booty to a groove by the LarksMore example sentences
- ‘Yeah, but that's about your spirit dancing, not shaking your booty.‘
- He explodes on the scene uttering rapper lingo and shaking his booty on the dance floor.
- She cuts her hair, borrows some un-beige clothes from Suzette, and goes dancing and drinking, shaking her booty with the rest of the kids at some Phoenix hot spot.