- A strong, cold, dry NE wind blowing in the upper Adriatic.More example sentences
- Trieste is at its best in spring and autumn, away from the humid summer heat and the often severe winters, when the biting bora wind can blow so hard that makeshift rope handrails need to be strung along the steepest streets.
- Finally, the bora has arrived (although the Triestines tell me it is still speeding up).
- After the Bora blows into town, there's always a story in the paper about someone getting hit with a flying roadsign or a flowerbox that was ripped from a windowsill.
mid 19th century: dialect variant of Italian borea, from Latin boreas 'north wind' (see boreal).
- An Australian Aboriginal rite in which boys are initiated into manhood.More example sentences
- The bora or initiation ceremony is said to be ‘like church.’
- Enjoy a guided museum tour and walk through Ukerebagh Nature Reserve and bora ring learning about Aboriginal culture from the traditional owners.
- The bora ground itself was identified by two circles that were drawn on the ground or were formed by rocks or pebbles.
mid 19th century: from Kamilaroi buuru.