- A brittle reddish-brown crystalline mineral with an iridescent purple tarnish, consisting of a sulphide of copper and iron.More example sentences
- When it rises through fractures in the surrounding solid rocks, these metals are precipitated, normally as the minerals chalcopyrite, bornite, and molybdenite.
- Iron and copper sulfides of this region are predominately pyrite, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, bornite, and marcasite.
- We have not seen any good crystals of bornite from Gilman.
early 19th century: from the name of Ignatius von Born (1742–91), Austrian mineralogist, + -ite1.
More definitions of borniteDefinition of bornite in:
- The US English dictionary