nounBritish • historical
- A custodial institution for young offenders.More example sentences
- After a time teaching drama in borstals, prisons and community centres, he suffered two more breakdowns until one day, while sitting on a bus, his persistent angst, dread and fear of failure simply evaporated.
- Let's build more hospitals, prisons and borstals.
- We performed in schools, old people's homes, borstals and prisons.
early 20th century: named after the village of Borstal in southern England, where the first of these was established.
More definitions of borstalDefinition of borstal in:
- The US English dictionary