- 1The larva of the botfly, which is an internal parasite of horses.More example sentences
- Traditionally, the most effective treatments for the control of horse bots have been applied at least 30 days after the first killing frost.
- One exception is to be certain the horse is dewormed for bots each fall and spring.
- If not removed, the eggs are eventually ingested as the horse nuzzles its legs and can cause problems, even death, if the horse isn't given a wormer that kills bots.
- 1.1 (sheep bot) The sheep nostril fly. See nostril fly.More example sentences
- The immature stage of the sheep bot fly is an internal parasite in the nasal cavities of the head of sheep.
- The common sheep bot fly breeds in the nasal cavity and sinuses of sheep.
- The sheep bot fly produces live young and deposits them in the nostrils of sheep.
early 16th century: probably of Low German origin.
- 1(Chiefly in science fiction) a robot: we have maintenance bots in thereMore example sentences
- We've got a big expo coming up, and if you'd like to show off your bots, the Summer Robot Games & Expo in San Francisco is a great opportunity to do so.
- He left the room, leaving the smoldering training robot for the cleaner bot to pick up.
- There were also several trucks, and some bots that looked like automated forklifts.
- 1.1 Computing An autonomous program on a network (especially the Internet) which can interact with systems or users, especially one designed to behave like a player in some computer games: [in combination]: a mailbotMore example sentences
- In co-op play, online players team up against bots to accomplish missions.
- The search engine bots would certainly have downloaded that meta-data and may have it stored in databases ready for somebody to just ask nicely.
- Where that information comes from is unclear; the report's authors believe some of the bots are interfacing in real time with credit card company databases.
1960s: shortening of robot.