- Modelling of plant growth and architecture relies on biological assumptions borrowed from botany and crop physiology.
- Linnean tradition classified them as plants properly studied in botany.
- During his tenure at Western, Gary taught courses in principles of biology, protistology, general botany, plant morphology, and freshwater algae.
- He knows the geology and botany, can describe all that creeps and crawls, bounds and flies and, above all, is able and willing to share his enthusiasms.
- Well, you can imagine any mad botany or geology you please.
- First they're introduced to the internal structures and geometries of the desert geology and botany.
This comes from the earlier word botanic borrowed from French botanique, which goes back to Greek botanē ‘plant’. The explorer Captain James Cook ( 1728–79), who landed there in 1770, named Botany Bay because of the large variety of plants collected there by his companion, Sir Joseph Banks ( 1743–1820). Later the area became noted from its wool production and from the late 19th century botany was used for Australian wool.
Words that rhyme with botanycottony, monotony
Late 19th century: named after Botany Bay, from where the wool originally came.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.