Definition of bottlebrush in English:
1A cylindrical brush for cleaning inside bottles.
- With a clean bottlebrush and hot soapy water, thoroughly clean the bottles and other items.
- Use a clean bottlebrush to scrub out pipes and tubes.
- Use a clean bottlebrush to thoroughly remove all traces of milk, rinse and then sterilise.
2An Australian shrub or small tree with spikes of scarlet or yellow flowers which resemble bottlebrushes.
- Genus Callistemon, family Myrtaceae
- Neighbour Ian Kinny, whose memorial garden along with a gum tree, bottlebrush and shrubs were destroyed, described the impact of the attack as ‘extremely cruel’.
- This appealing, diminutive shrub blooms in spring with honey-scented flowers that look like bottlebrushes, and they are hummingbird magnets!
- These beautiful evergreen shrubs are known as bottlebrushes because of the cylindrical-shape of their cream, yellow or red blooms that emerge in spring and summer.
2.1Any of a number of plants bearing flowers similar to those of the bottlebrush.
- Melaleucas and bottlebrushes make excellent screening plants, stand-alone specimens and accents among other native species such as banksias and grevilleas.
- Atop City Hall in Toronto, downtown workers watch butterflies and birds loiter among native plants like bottlebrush grass, eastern columbines, grey-headed coneflowers and New Jersey tea bushes.
- Bulbs boast the spiky spaceships of alliums, and the long-lasting bottlebrushes of perennial grasses - an invaluable group of plants when it comes to attractive seed heads - provide a huge variety of scale and texture.
Definition of bottlebrush in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan