Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of bottom fish in English:
A species of fish, such as flounder, that is a bottom feeder.
- They finished lunch, then went aft, Jim to once again sit beside the pole he'd set in search of some bottom fish, and Blair to sit lotus-style on top of the transom facing him.
- In the late 1980s more than a million bottom fish died in the American state of New Jersey's Raritan Bay.
- Walleye pollock, more than half of all Bering bottom fish, are harvested in the world's largest single species fishery.
verb(bottom-fish) Back to top
1Fish for species that are bottom fish.
- Six pinks later - the limit for this species - Anderson heads back inside the strait to bottom fish the tide rip off Tatoosh with homemade metal treble hook jigs.
- That extra involvement seems to differentiate fly fishing from spin casting, using a spoon for example, or bait fishing, sometimes called bottom fishing.
- Preferred fishing methods are trolling with lures or baits, bottom fishing, jigging, chumming, and spin casting.
1.1Make profits from investments that are of low value or out of favor.
- ‘We don't participate in auctions; we don't bottom fish,’ said Larsen of Goodrich's philosophy toward acquisitions.
- Assume that Burstein is right about all of these things - that venture capital will be equal parts merchant banking, bottom fishing, and financial engineering.
- It might be a place where bottom fishing is a clever strategy rather than greenfield developments.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.