(also boubou shrike)
Definition of boubou in English:
1An African bush shrike (songbird) with the upper parts mainly blackish in colour. It is noted for the duet of bell-like calls produced by the male and female together. Compare with brubru.
- Genus Laniarius, family Laniidae: several species
- The heavy air vibrates with cooing of doves and the creaking-gate single note of the tropical boubou.
- The best-known and best-studied duettists are certain African shrikes, notably the tropical boubou shrike Laniarius aethiopicus.
2A long, colourful, loose-fitting garment worn by both sexes in parts of Africa.
[French, from Malinke bubu]
- Guineans have made an art form of boubous, garments which they slip over their heads and wear over matching pants.
- In more traditional settings, people wear boubous, loose-fitting cotton tunics with large openings under the arms.
- It consists of draw-string trousers, a long-sleeved loose-fitting shirt with an open neck, and a boubou (long, full robe).
Definition of boubou in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.