noun (plural bougies)Medicine
- A thin, flexible surgical instrument for exploring or dilating a passage of the body.More example sentences
- Patients are placed under local or general anesthesia and the stricture is dilated using a flexible gastroscope and Savary bougies.
- A rigid bronchoscopy was performed under general anaesthesia, and the trachea was serially dilated with bougies until it was large enough to accommodate a 6.5 mm uncuffed tracheal tube.
- In the past, surgeons used a rectal bougie to identify the rectum; however, this instrument no longer is used routinely.
mid 18th century: from French, literally 'wax candle', from Arabic Bijāya, an Algerian town which traded in wax.
More definitions of bougieDefinition of bougie in:
- The US English dictionary