Definition of bowstring in English:
The string of an archer’s bow, traditionally made of three strands of hemp.
- Always use the manufacturer's recommended number of strands in the bowstring for the draw weight of the bow.
- Split the bowstring strands at the marked location in line with the bow.
- To release the arrow correctly, the fingers holding the bowstring must allow the string to slip off the fingers.
verb (past and past participle bowstrung)[with object] historical Back to top
Strangle with a bowstring (a former Turkish method of execution).
- "We shall all be bowstrung if his excellency thinks us wanting in respect."
- The grand vizier was sent for by the sultan, dismissed, and bowstrung the next day.
- The few that may have fled from the provinces would have been leaderless since all the provincial officers were bowstrung by the Sultan's prearranged orders.
Definition of bowstring in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan