Definition of bowstring in English:
The string of an archer’s bow, traditionally made of three strands of hemp.
- Always use the manufacturer's recommended number of strands in the bowstring for the draw weight of the bow.
- Split the bowstring strands at the marked location in line with the bow.
- To release the arrow correctly, the fingers holding the bowstring must allow the string to slip off the fingers.
verb (past and past participle bowstrung)[with object] historical Back to top
Strangle with a bowstring (a former Turkish method of execution).
- "We shall all be bowstrung if his excellency thinks us wanting in respect."
- The grand vizier was sent for by the sultan, dismissed, and bowstrung the next day.
- The few that may have fled from the provinces would have been leaderless since all the provincial officers were bowstrung by the Sultan's prearranged orders.
Words that rhyme with bowstringoutpouring • shoestring
Definition of bowstring in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.