- The string of an archer’s bow, traditionally made of three strands of hemp.More example sentences
- Always use the manufacturer's recommended number of strands in the bowstring for the draw weight of the bow.
- Split the bowstring strands at the marked location in line with the bow.
- To release the arrow correctly, the fingers holding the bowstring must allow the string to slip off the fingers.
verb (past and past participle bowstrung)[with object] • historical Back to top
- Strangle with a bowstring (a former Turkish method of execution).More example sentences
- "We shall all be bowstrung if his excellency thinks us wanting in respect."
- The grand vizier was sent for by the sultan, dismissed, and bowstrung the next day.
- The few that may have fled from the provinces would have been leaderless since all the provincial officers were bowstrung by the Sultan's prearranged orders.
More definitions of bowstringDefinition of bowstring in:
- The US English dictionary