Definition of box office in English:
1A place at a theatre, cinema, etc. where tickets are bought or reserved.
- The theatre had left four complimentary tickets at the box office to thank me for doing some promotion.
- Mobile phone users can pay for concert or movie tickets at the box office simply by holding their phone next to the payment terminal.
- All prices are subject to booking fee and tickets are available from the Theatre Royal box offices and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
1.1Used to refer to the commercial success of a film, play, or actor in terms of the audience size or takings that they command: [as modifier]: the movie was a huge box office hit
More example sentences
- Tsui's film was not a box-office success, which suggests his audience was not convinced.
- The box-office success of the film has allayed fears over its performance and has revived hopes for sequels.
- It has worked, and for the second time our film is a box-office hit.
Definition of box office in:
- US English dictionary