Definition of box seat in English:
1A seat in a box in a theatre or sports stadium.
- I had been up in Bert's favorite seat, the box seat closest to the stage the right of the stage, watching your angelic self read silently.
- The two octagonal platforms - one open, the other covered - are Connected by a slender bridge and stair to form an elegant box seat for a particularly operatic water view.
- Every home game he maneuvers his classic Volkswagen bug down to the ballgame, finds his mid-mob box seat, and enjoys imagining himself in the game.
2 historical A coachman’s seat.
- Her disheveled head appeared, and with the wagon shaking precariously, she managed to climb out onto the box seat.
- Jonathan had caught the edge of the wagon box, but as he pulled on it, trying to climb back up onto the box seat, the wagon began to tip.
- in the box seat
- Australian /NZ informal In an advantageous position.Example sentences
- Still, you can't argue about landing in the box seat.
- The big win puts the Australians in the box seat to finish second in their pool after Argentina downed Tunisia 2-0.
- Now that the Australian public service has, rather gingerly, begun recruiting again, Gen Xers are in the box seat.
Definition of box seat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.