A land-living turtle which has a lower shell with hinged lobes that can be drawn up tightly to enclose the animal. It is native to North America and Mexico and is commonly kept as a pet in the US.
- Genus Terrapene, family Emydidae: several species
More example sentences
- The shell of the box turtle is so strong it can readily support a weight 200 times greater than its own; a man with proportionate supporting power could bear up two large African elephants!
- In contrast, the ornate box turtle and northern populations of the painted turtle frequently overwinter in shallower soils and, when unable to avoid freezing, show a remarkable tolerance for the formation of ice in their body tissues.
- It takes a child, under the age of 7, doing the Squeeky Shoe dance… and an ornamental box turtle doing the Happy Turtle Wants Some Moisture dance.
Definition of box turtle in:
- The US English dictionary