Definition of boysenberry in English:
noun (plural boysenberries)
1A large red edible blackberry-like fruit.
- It is a brilliant dark ruby wine filled with the aromas of spices and dark ripe fruits like boysenberries and plums.
- Blueberries, blackberries and boysenberries, for example, are at the top of the list, according to researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.
- My favorite Red Car wine so far, though, is ‘The Stranger,’ which reminded me of a pudding made with ripe blackberries, boysenberries and a hint of blueberry.
2The shrubby plant that bears the boysenberry, which is a hybrid of several kinds of bramble.
- Rubus loganobaccus, family Rosaceae
- ‘The Berry Garden,’ in another area, contains raspberries, boysenberries, huckleberries and gooseberries.
- The boysenberry canes are bursting with bright green leaves and overflowing the square of low trellises behind the old flagstone barbecue.
- Making a large plant, the boysenberry is hardy and extremely resistant to drought.
1930s: named after Robert Boysen (died 1950), the American horticulturalist who developed it.
Definition of boysenberry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.