Definition of braaivleis in English:
1A picnic or barbecue where meat is grilled over an open fire.
- I would include the sizzle of meat on a braaivleis fire, the sharp hiss of a can of Castle being opened.
- We used to pitch up at one of the brother's houses on the weekend, have a braaivleis [barbecue] and watch the kids play cricket on the big lawn.
- After school one day I was invited to attend a braaivleis, a South African barbecue.
1.1 [mass noun] Meat grilled over an open fire.
- Why didn't they slap an injunction on samoosas, koeksisters, bobotie, braaivleis, witblits or mampoer while they were about it?
- As was the case for the last fourteen years, I was sitting at my desk, working, while the crowd at the showgrounds enjoyed their pap and braaivleis, gaping at the fireworks display.
- But, in reality, we are all exposed to cancer-causing substances on a daily basis - be it from sunlight, braaivleis or air pollution.
Afrikaans, 'grilled meat', from braai 'to grill' + vleis 'meat'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan