1A picnic or barbecue where meat is grilled over an open fire.
- I would include the sizzle of meat on a braaivleis fire, the sharp hiss of a can of Castle being opened.
- We used to pitch up at one of the brother's houses on the weekend, have a braaivleis [barbecue] and watch the kids play cricket on the big lawn.
- After school one day I was invited to attend a braaivleis, a South African barbecue.
1.1 [mass noun] Meat grilled over an open fire.
- Why didn't they slap an injunction on samoosas, koeksisters, bobotie, braaivleis, witblits or mampoer while they were about it?
- As was the case for the last fourteen years, I was sitting at my desk, working, while the crowd at the showgrounds enjoyed their pap and braaivleis, gaping at the fireworks display.
- But, in reality, we are all exposed to cancer-causing substances on a daily basis - be it from sunlight, braaivleis or air pollution.
Afrikaans, 'grilled meat', from braai 'to grill' + vleis 'meat'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: braai|vleis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.