A fungus which forms shelf-like projections on the trunks of living or dead trees, sending hyphae into the wood and sometimes causing the death of the tree or decay of the timber.
- Several families in the order Aphyllophorales, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- It is a sessile wood inhabiting fungus and is commonly known as ‘bracket fungus’.
- Here you can see the basidiocarp of the bracket fungus growing on the trunk of this tree.
- The artist's conk is a particular kind of bracket fungus, Ganoderma applanata.
Definition of bracket fungus in:
- The US English dictionary