- Fry (food) lightly and then stew it slowly in a closed container: (as adjective braised) braised vealMore example sentences
- All sorts of casseroles, stews and braised dishes work well cooked in just one pot, but you can also consider soup for starters and steamed or baked sponge pudding afterwards.
- You know what that means: think of a slowly braised oxtail stew that you can eat with a fork or spoon, without recourse to a knife.
- The veal with chilli and braised salad was, I must confess, excellent.
mid 18th century: from French braiser, from braise 'live coals' (in which the container was formerly placed).
More definitions of braiseDefinition of braise in:
- The US English dictionary