adjective (brawnier, brawniest)
Physically strong; muscular: a great brawny brute Gordon had brawny tattooed arms
More example sentences
- Two strong, brawny arms reached down and went under the vampire's back.
- The man facing them was taller than both by a few inches, and had strong, brawny arms.
- Avery looked to see a brawny, muscular man walking their way.
strong, as strong as an ox, muscular, well muscled, muscly, muscle-bound, well built, powerfully built, powerful, mighty, Herculean, strapping, burly, robust, sturdy, husky, lusty, sinewy, well knit, rugged;
North American informal buff
US informal jacked
literary thewy, stark
- Example sentences
- He made it very clear that his superhuman brawniness was what he wished his political future to be built on, and the people voted for it.
- The buildings would always hold an admirable brawniness: thick and dark while the night crawlers of all types were sucking down on bottles of booze, rioting in the shadows, or just trying to have a good time.
- A Byzantine chalice, Bible, or wood carving has a kind of heft, a hand-made brawniness.
Words that rhyme with brawnycorny, horny, lawny, mulligatawny, scrawny, tawny, thorny
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: brawny
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.