(also bread palm)
- A cycad native to tropical and southern Africa, which yields an edible sago-like starch.
More example sentences
- Genus Encephalartos, family Zamiaceae
- The Yaca, or bread tree, is very versatile in its modes of consumption and preparation, green or ripe, raw or baked, fried, boiled, juiced, etc.
- Many fruit trees can be found on the island: orange and lemon trees, banana trees, and the famous and typical bread trees.
- Cycads were known as the bread tree, as the local natives would remove the pith from the stem, bury it in the earth to rot, then knead it, make it into a cake and bake it in the embers of a fire.