Definition of breadfruit in English:
1The large round starchy fruit of a tropical tree, which is used as a vegetable and sometimes to make a substitute for flour.
- These animals have fed only on the finest tropical fruits (mangoes and breadfruit are their favourites).
- Stories of Marco Polo and lasagna made with flour ground from breadfruit have found their way into the quest for lasagna's origin.
- Native-grown breadfruit, mango, soursop, pawpaw, and cashews are regarded by some locals as less desirable food.
2 (also breadfruit tree) The large evergreen tree which bears breadfruit, which is widely cultivated on the islands of the Pacific and the Caribbean.
- Artocarpus altilis, family Moraceae
- The well-known breadfruit tree brought to the island by Captain Bligh in 1793 was first planted here, and its descendants are still to be found in the gardens.
- The breadfruit tree at my home is bearing like there is no tomorrow.
- So this person called in to say that a breadfruit tree in their area north of the island had fallen down due to the strong winds.
Definition of breadfruit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan