- 1Force entry to a building: would-be thieves had smashed the door lock in an attempt to break inMore example sentences
- The thieves broke in by forcing a casement window in the dining room before ransacking the house.
- When no one answered, they broke in and searched the building, only to find a watchman sleeping at his post.
- They broke in by forcing a lock on a door and then made off in a stolen car.
- 2 [with direct speech] Interject: ‘I don’t want to interfere,’ Mrs Hendry broke in the doctor’s voice broke in on her thoughtsMore example sentences
- ‘We know that,’ broke in Chris.
- The publicist, sitting between us in the back seat, broke in, ‘A friend of mine is the U. S. ambassador to France.’
- ‘So where are we going to go now?’ she broke in.
More definitions of break inDefinition of break in in:
- The US English dictionary