- 1Become severed: the fuselage had broken off just behind the pilot’s seatMore example sentences
- It began life as a separate ice tongue roughly the size of Belgium before breaking off and floating into the Southern Ocean.
- Every time I grabbed anything on the side of the rock to try to stop my descent, it broke off and came with me.
- Two of the chairs legs broke off in a loud snap from the force of the blow.
- 2Abruptly stop talking: she broke off, stifling a sobMore example sentences
- Faith and Grace who had been telling him something, abruptly broke off, when Father got up and rushed over to me.
- But he broke off when he remembered that he was talking to the enemy, not an ally.
- As he was saying this, his son John appeared and he broke off.
More definitions of break offDefinition of break off in:
- The US English dictionary