Definition of breakbeat in English:
1A sample of a syncopated drum beat, usually repeated to form a rhythm used as a basis for dance music, hip hop, etc.
- You'll find no contemporary rhythms here - no breakbeats, syncopated garage or 4/4 tech-house - to jolt you into the clever, chaotic and horrid present.
- Orion kicks off with Towards, a beautiful opener that builds into a multi-layered piece of sparse guitar chords floating over a shifting rhythm section of soft breakbeats and reversed cymbals.
- On Stargazing, singers gently coo over leisurely breakbeats, spacey samples and woozy strings.
1.1 [mass noun] Dance music featuring breakbeats.
- At Meow Mixes, you can dance to hip hop, funk, alternative, techno, breakbeat, ethnic music and retro favourites.
- In the beginning of the '90s, I was doing techno, house, acid jazz, breakbeat and, yes, even trance (oops).
- Were you ever into Detroit techno, or breakbeat, or UK hardcore?
Definition of breakbeat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.