Definition of breakfast in English:
A meal eaten in the morning, the first of the day: a breakfast of bacon and eggs [mass noun]: I don’t eat breakfast
More example sentences
- For the record, I personally have bacon and egg breakfasts quite often and eat enough sausages to make me a good German.
- He lived with a couple called Mr and Mrs Birdikin above their shop and used to eat a hearty breakfast of bacon and eggs every day.
- When they arose late in the morning, two breakfasts of pancakes, eggs, bacon, jelly-covered toast, milk, and orange juice were already made for them to eat.
verb[no object] Back to top
Eat breakfast: she breakfasted on fried bread and bacon
More example sentences
- After the family breakfasted, a meal which I did not attend, Helda sought me out in the garden.
- Only a few miles from where I'm writing this, children come to their ill-equipped schools having breakfasted on nothing but a cup of coffee.
- We breakfasted on pastries and coffee from the hotel's Il Fornaio Panetteria and used a coupon we'd received at check-in to get free biscotti.
have (or eat) someone for breakfast
- informal Deal with or defeat someone with contemptuous ease.Example sentences
- Another City-based source warned that, despite reassuring clauses in the merger announcement: ‘Halifax will have them for breakfast’.
- The evil arms dealing world of imports and exports has created him and from now on we will have to have him for breakfast in one form or another.
- Claire manages to stand her ground with Hersh but he'd have had me for breakfast.
- Example sentences
- There's also a kids' page on the menu, along with colouring materials, so that other breakfasters can nurse their hangovers in peace..
- But there was something about them that you could sense caused a slight discomfort among the quiet Duxton breakfasters.
- Sharing a heavy wooden table with other breakfasters, we felt content knowing we would eat noodles just as the villagers here did a century ago.
Words that rhyme with breakfastunbiased • August
Definition of breakfast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan