Definition of breakfast in English:
A meal eaten in the morning, the first of the day: a breakfast of bacon and eggs [mass noun]: I don’t eat breakfast
More example sentences
- For the record, I personally have bacon and egg breakfasts quite often and eat enough sausages to make me a good German.
- He lived with a couple called Mr and Mrs Birdikin above their shop and used to eat a hearty breakfast of bacon and eggs every day.
- When they arose late in the morning, two breakfasts of pancakes, eggs, bacon, jelly-covered toast, milk, and orange juice were already made for them to eat.
verb[no object] Back to top
Eat breakfast: she breakfasted on fried bread and bacon
More example sentences
- After the family breakfasted, a meal which I did not attend, Helda sought me out in the garden.
- Only a few miles from where I'm writing this, children come to their ill-equipped schools having breakfasted on nothing but a cup of coffee.
- We breakfasted on pastries and coffee from the hotel's Il Fornaio Panetteria and used a coupon we'd received at check-in to get free biscotti.
have (or eat) someone for breakfast
- informal Deal with or defeat someone with contemptuous ease.Example sentences
- Another City-based source warned that, despite reassuring clauses in the merger announcement: ‘Halifax will have them for breakfast’.
- The evil arms dealing world of imports and exports has created him and from now on we will have to have him for breakfast in one form or another.
- Claire manages to stand her ground with Hersh but he'd have had me for breakfast.
- Example sentences
- There's also a kids' page on the menu, along with colouring materials, so that other breakfasters can nurse their hangovers in peace..
- But there was something about them that you could sense caused a slight discomfort among the quiet Duxton breakfasters.
- Sharing a heavy wooden table with other breakfasters, we felt content knowing we would eat noodles just as the villagers here did a century ago.
Words that rhyme with breakfastunbiased • August
Definition of breakfast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.