1 [mass noun] The process of taking air into and expelling it from the lungs: his breathing was shallow
More example sentences
- Over time, one can replace shallow breathing with deeper breathing without having to consciously focus on it.
- This causes large bursts of breath followed by periods of shallow breathing or stopped breathing.
- It deals with the physiological process of breathing and with the management of energy in the body.
2A sign in Greek (῾ or ᾿) indicating the presence of an aspirate (rough breathing) or the absence of an aspirate (smooth breathing) at the beginning of a word.
- Greek was very like Latin with the added burden of a new alphabet to learn, with breathings and subscripts.
- The digraph in GREEK derived words with rough breathing: rhapsody, rhetoric, rhinoceros.
- Pay careful attention to the Greek letters as you read, and make sure you can identify the smooth breathings.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: breath¦ing
Definition of breathing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.