- 1 Music A note, rarely used in modern music, having the time value of two semibreves, and represented as a semibreve with two short bars either side, or as a square.More example sentences
- The relationship between the semibreve and the minim is exactly the same as that accorded to the breve and semibreve.
- This consists simply of four notes written out on a single stave in breves.
- Semi means half, and although rare and rather ancient, the British system includes the breve in its logic.
- 2A written or printed mark (˘) indicating a short or unstressed vowel.More example sentences
- Other explanations of English verse use more convenient typography as substitutes for the acute accent and breve.
- Accent caron, which should be used in pinyin instead of accent breve is not always supported.
- The vowel letters that are used in conjunction with the breve symbol are replaced by compound vowel letters.
- 3 • historical An authoritative letter from a pope or monarch.More example sentences
- The authority of the English crown in Ireland rested ultimately on the grant of the lordship in the alleged breve Laudibiliter.
- In these cases the title of breve might be accompanied or replaced by that of notitia, or memoratorium.
- The Jesuits took care to notify the general disregard for the papal breve.
Middle English: variant of brief. In the musical sense, the term was originally used in a series where a long was of greater time value than a breve.
More definitions of breveDefinition of breve in:
- The US English dictionary