- A prison or reform school for petty offenders.More example sentences
- They were hauled off to the barracks, spent the night in the bridewell, and the next day were convicted.
- In the 17th century, bridewells and reformatory institutions started to appear.
- With the advent of bridewells, convicts begin to inhabit separate punitive institutions for the first time.
mid 16th century: named after St Bride's Well in the City of London, near which such a building stood.
More definitions of bridewellDefinition of bridewell in:
- The US English dictionary