1 dated Scented oil used on men’s hair to make it look glossy.
- The firm was known for its cough medicine, but in fact the products included hair cream, brilliantine, and others.
- A man his age, his hair combed back with brilliantine, was nestled in one of the chairs.
- Guttman, closely cropped, clean-shaven and smelling of brilliantine, heads for Mozambique.
2US Shiny dress fabric made from cotton and mohair or cotton and worsted.
- The race took the products of the economic boom all over Italy: brilliantine, coffee machines, and cookers.
- His mood alters as he turns from the brilliantine carpet to the brooding figures that adorn his walls.
- The bride will wear a white serge suit and the bridegroom will wear a white brilliantine suit.
Late 19th century: from French brillantine, from brillant 'shining' (see brilliant).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bril¦liant|ine
Definition of brilliantine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.