2A bright yellow butterfly or moth:
- ● (also brimstone butterfly) A European butterfly of the white family, the male of which is yellow and the female greenish-white (Gonepteryx rhamni, family Pieridae). ● (also brimstone moth) A small yellow European moth (Opisthograptis luteolata, family Geometridae).
More example sentences
- Reminding me of an animated daffodil, a male brimstone butterfly flits through the sun-dappled shade.
- And who wouldn't enjoy the sight of the first brimstone of the year eagerly supping at a garden primrose.
- Many interesting moths showed throughout this year including the Brimstone.
late Old English brynstān, probably from bryne 'burning' + stān 'stone'.
Definition of brimstone in:
- The US English dictionary