1A large flat edible green bean which is usually eaten without the pod. Also called fava bean in North America.
- But, after some conversation, we were still not sure the French understood what we meant so, rather than risk being served green beans or broad beans, we decided to take our own.
- They're fava beans, or broad beans as they're sometimes called.
- Other produce grown in the UK by Bomford, comprising mainly string beans, broad beans, peas and sprouts, is not handled at Manor Farm but is taken straight from the fields to Orchard Farm.
2The plant which yields broad beans.
- Vicia faba, family Leguminosae.
- He officially opened a new polytunnel in the school's garden and helped children to plant gladioli bulbs, tomatoes, runner beans and broad beans.
- The backyard was one large veggie patch which had broad beans, garlic chives, cos lettuce, peach tree, three leave weed/vegetable and others we do not know the name of growing.
- In summer, it will be overflowing with pink rhubarb, broad beans, sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes, radishes, red Batavian lettuce and herbs.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: broad bean
Definition of broad bean in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.