- Clothing fabric of fine twilled wool or worsted, or plain-woven cotton: [as modifier]: his green broadcloth jacket [count noun]: the manufacture of broadclothsMore example sentences
- Rolled-hem feet are designed for fine to mediumweight fabrics such as cotton batiste, broadcloth and handkerchief linen.
- Once the shirt went away, all of the mills that made fine broadcloth shirting fabric disappeared.
- He was richly dressed in the finest of broadcloth and the whitest of linen, with a great gold watch-chain, and studs and spectacles of the same precious material.
late Middle English: originally denoting cloth made 72 inches wide, as opposed to 'strait' cloth, 36 inches wide. The term now implies quality rather than width.
More definitions of broadclothDefinition of broadcloth in:
- The US English dictionary