- A cultivated variety of cabbage which bears heads of green or purplish flower buds that are eaten as a vegetable.
More example sentences
- There are several kinds of broccoli, in particular those in the ‘Italica’ group, including sprouting broccoli, which bears small loose clusters of heads on several shoots, and the bright green dense-headed variety which is also called calabrese
- The only vegetables to avoid are any of the cole crops, such as cabbage, mustard or broccoli.
- The vegetable garden is doing quite well, with spuds, broccoli, onions, cabbage and garlic all starting to grow.
- Plant out winter greens, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, in the vegetable plot.
mid 17th century: from Italian, plural of broccolo 'cabbage sprout, head', diminutive of brocco 'shoot', based on Latin brocchus, broccus 'projecting'.
More definitions of broccoliDefinition of broccoli in:
- The US English dictionary